MONDAY 7/27/15

Discuss the daily show's related stories and current show topics.
licyourface
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
How I listen: ONLINE

MONDAY 7/27/15

Postby licyourface » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:49 pm

On today’s show we had out big 3 — Celebrity nudity w/ Mr. Skin, The Geek Out w/ Peter and fitness tips w/ David Thompson! Plus all of the latest in news and sports
caputo350
How I listen: podcast

Re: MONDAY 7/27/15

Postby caputo350 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:28 pm

So I canceled my subscription last October because I was getting way too behind on podcasts with a new work schedule and I wanted to get caught up. Then I bought a new car and had access to satellite radio, which also gave me something else to listen to for awhile. But now I'm getting bored with Howard Stern for a variety of reasons, and was just wondering if the show is worthwhile to listen to at this point. I know the staff is the same, though I've noticed Taint is mentioned in the daily recaps on here a good bit. And I see they still have the "monday regulars." and the Go-cleanse giveaways.

Even in the worst days of the show I never thought I'd give it up fully, mainly because I did genuinely like every person on the show, but now that I've taken a break from it for awhile I'm not sure if I should jump back on the horse. Thoughts anyone?
ll Martain ll
How I listen: Podcast and App

Postby ll Martain ll » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:07 pm

The show is still worth listening to. I used to be a true P1 (to the point where I would remember where every out of context came from) but I've cut back in the last 3 or 4 years. When they lost Taint, to me the show just wasn't as good--they lost a lot of the energy it had when he went. Combine that with lex and Terry's respective personal issues, Ian being new, and Sarah's lack of ability (which is getting better now actually), the show is better now than it was. It will never be as good as it was in its prime, but it's still solid.

I'm kind of in it until the bitter end at this point. I've tried other shows, and they always seem to fill a solid niche, but as far as a general entertainment show, I haven't found anything I like better, and probably never will.

If you used to like the show, it's still worth listening to. Maybe not every day or every hour like it used to be...but I like my method of skip Monday's and they day they do crappy bits (like talk to a star and giveaways), and enjoy the good days when they have them. They have maybe 10 GREAT shows a year, and probably half of the rest are satisfactory or better.
Axel
VIP
VIP

Postby Axel » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:36 pm

...I hate to admit it, but I listen for about 15-20 mins maybe 3-4 times a month....because of a commute......Yes, I did get excited when Taint was mentioned, but I am NOT spending a dime for podcasts. IF the show was partially what it was SURE, not a question. but then again I would still be listening.....
Look at the traffic here...on maybe 2 people...
The show has been torn to shreds....commercials, Terry out of studio (and mind), no interns, always on the "clock" for different stations that add music, ....I pose this question, what is GOOD about the show now?
If the podcasts were uncensored, no commercials and worth a crap, I may have stayed as a listener....
Caputo.....I have moved on and sometimes look back (here) just for sentimental reasons....maybe having a older P1 pop back and say hey.....other than that....It isnt worth my time, there are to many other podcasts out there...some better, some not....
girlnerd
VIP
VIP

Postby girlnerd » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:42 pm

It's the best 3 hours of show you can get, in my opinion. I can't find anything I like better that has 15 hours of content per week.
Axel
VIP
VIP

Postby Axel » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:06 am

...it isnt that hard....just going to i-tunes, podcast.....there is a ton of stuff, and that isnt even syndicated radio.I could go through a list. There is so much stuff I had to actually dial my listening back and pick just a few...Adam Carolla has multiple podcasts on different platforms, Joe Rogan, Penn Jelette, Jay Mohr, Gilbert Godfreid, ...Adam Savage (mythbusters) had one for a short bit....Alton Brown (Food network-Good Eats) is on hiatus for the time being....
This is all off the top of my head.......oh, and did i mention it is FREE, and commercials are minimal or non existent....
Look dont get me wrong, I used to be the biggest advocate of the show, it has changed and so have I.....I am glad you can enjoy it, I hope you continue to....It got me through some tough times in my life, I hope the guys can do the same for you...
I actually started to listen to books now....
girlnerd
VIP
VIP

Postby girlnerd » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:43 pm

Axel, I understand what you're saying about so many podcasts out there but most have 30-50 minutes of content per week. I don't want to download 80 different podcasts every week.
ahkbar316
How I listen: Podcast

Postby ahkbar316 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:58 pm

I'm still way behind, but the $6 alone is worth it alone for the Lex Off, much less all the other content that I find very entertaining. Plus sudden death too. Regardless of perceived quality, I still find it highly worth it.
ll Martain ll
How I listen: Podcast and App

Postby ll Martain ll » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:31 pm

Axel what commercials are you referring to? Are you talking about things like gocleanse and Harry's razors promos they do on-air? I FF through those. Other than that, the podcasts are commercial free and uncensored. I Can't stand listening live because I can't go past all the fluff.

Sudden death is usually worth the cost--it's as close to what the show used to be as anything. Jerk Fishing has been incredible, and Sarah found a bit she's actually really good at. Hoping it's a confidence boost so she can add more to the whole show than she has in the past.
Axel
VIP
VIP

Postby Axel » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:41 am

Im glad to hear some things have gone the "positive" route....especially "sudden death". When the podcasts went subscription only, SD seemed to have gone to 'lets see who can cuss or be dirty"...justifying the subscribers membership.
As for commercials, that was one of the reasons I stopped listening live (I hate the local car dealership commercials)...My Fast Forward button would get a work out with "round table this, round table that"...David, how can I loose weight without working out?, ......there was a lot of radio 'fodder'...I know content is hard to come by, but they have been doing it for so long, i guess with Terry not in studio to 'stir the pot' content isnt so easy to come by....
Telll you what..... with the positive feedback from you guys, i may take the show for another spin.....or not....not sure
caputo350

Postby caputo350 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:31 pm

Yeah, some of the things you guys are saying do have me intrigued to give the show another spin, for maybe a month or so. I never had a problem with the cost of a subscription. 5.99 for 60 hours worth of content is a bargain, even for something you're only getting moderate enjoyment out of.

I suppose the thing that turned me off and that still has me reluctant to go back was the total lack of effort they would put into anything they were doing. I recall one of the bits they were talking about doing at the start of the new year last year was "Caller of the Day." Now in order to do caller of the day they would have actually had to have someone, most likely Ian or Sarah, just keep a running tab of every caller, or every good caller rather. Nothing too elaborate, just a name of the caller, a quick description of their call, and maybe a couple of stars, and their phone number in case they were going to be awarded a prize. This would have taken some effort, but a minuscule amount of effort. It would take literally 10 seconds at the end of each call for someone to jot this stuff down. But I guess it was too much and the bit lasted a day or two.
Or the Weekly Wack. Again, they promoted the hell out of it, "send in your pictures." And it may have lasted 3 weeks. Maybe 4?
I guess the Diglet stuff turned me off as well. I mean back in the day Kim got a fucking roofie and it was talked about on the show. The staff's personal lives were open season and it did make you have some connection to them, and made the show feel honest and genuine.
Now on the other hand, or at least when I was last listening, Sarah had just broken up with her boyfriend, she was going out and doing stuff. This should have made for some good and interesting content. Sarah's a hot chick, she can be fun, I'd be interested in hearing what she's up to, and what the guy's take is on that stuff. Same with Ian. But instead as soon as something interesting would come up, you'd just hear "diglet!" And I get it, some stuff is off limits, but in that case the guys and the staff should know before hand, not to start talking about it then pull a ripcord.

So I don't know. Ultimately my schedule right now only gives me a little over an hour total that I'd be able to listen, and I'm so OCD that I'm not sure I'd be able to fast forward through a show out of fear of missing the occasional gem. I'm going to give it some serious thought. I miss the Givers.
demoknite

Postby demoknite » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:58 pm

Im in the exact same boat. I was like four months behind and being double charged. I complained but of course they didnt know what the problem was so I cancelled. Now Im at the point where each segment is predicated by a "commercial". The ones where they pretend to just be conversing about a product as opposed to just reading copy for 2 minutes. Some of the commercials go quite long and they are EVERYDAY. Then the segment is ended by the fake music break and which somewhat breaks up the flow. Im also at the point in the show where they are doing sudden death three times a week, but they also have the APP audio which I dont find funny AT ALL and I skip every time. Some of the sudden deaths are ALL app audio as well. So when I catch up, I may re engage. But I no longer subscribe and I dont listen from beginning to end anymore.

Return to “Daily Recap”