Top Gear UK vs. Top Gear USA

Talk about TV Show's & Movies Here!
sifon187
How I listen: Radio+Podcast

Top Gear UK vs. Top Gear USA

Postby sifon187 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:02 pm

If you are a gear head, I am sure you know about Top Gear UK (this is the original show, but there are many different versions in other countries). It brings cars, comedy and sometimes a bit of drama on to your television. The chemistry between the presenters Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond, and James May is perfect. I did not excepted the USA version to do same, but something reasonably close....god its horrible. I cannot even explain how bad it is....makes me sick...

So anyone enjoy Top Gear?
aCompanionCube
How I listen: TK101 and podcast

Re: Top Gear UK vs. Top Gear USA

Postby aCompanionCube » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:16 pm

Hello! I'm a huge Top Gear fan (uk). I've seen all 17 seasons of the new show, never really saw much of the Top Gear before it. When I still had satellite I had BBC America just for Top Gear.

I agree about the US version...I tried a few episodes, but the chemistry wasn't there. Other than Tanner the others didn't even seem like car guys. In comparison, TG Australia's presenters seem very similar to the US hosts, but it just works better. Comments make me think the US version has gotten better, so I may give it a try again.
sifon187

Postby sifon187 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:43 pm

aCompanionCube wrote:Hello! I'm a huge Top Gear fan (uk). I've seen all 17 seasons of the new show, never really saw much of the Top Gear before it. When I still had satellite I had BBC America just for Top Gear.

I agree about the US version...I tried a few episodes, but the chemistry wasn't there. Other than Tanner the others didn't even seem like car guys. In comparison, TG Australia's presenters seem very similar to the US hosts, but it just works better. Comments make me think the US version has gotten better, so I may give it a try again.

I did not find the show until 2010 and I am still catching up. The second season of TG USA is better, but you can see the (we are trying to make it exactly like the UK show) hue. You cannot reproduce the chemistry that Richard, James, and Jeremy have.
aCompanionCube

Postby aCompanionCube » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:49 pm

I started around series 12 or so, then last summer I found all the others. Just a note, the episodes before series 16 were edited down for BBC America. The show with commercials runs 80 minutes, and only 16 and 17 so far are aired in full length in the US. Mostly only the news gets edited out.

In the first 2 the third guy wasn't James May, but some fat dude talking about local car deals. James was brought on, and even from the start they meshed well.
sifon187

Postby sifon187 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:28 pm

aCompanionCube wrote:I started around series 12 or so, then last summer I found all the others. Just a note, the episodes before series 16 were edited down for BBC America. The show with commercials runs 80 minutes, and only 16 and 17 so far are aired in full length in the US. Mostly only the news gets edited out.

In the first 2 the third guy wasn't James May, but some fat dude talking about local car deals. James was brought on, and even from the start they meshed well.

I either netflix the episodes or download them through torrents. I hate the editing done for American TV.
demoknite
How I listen: podcast

Postby demoknite » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:54 pm

For those that may not be familiar, we pay a "tax" for BBC programming (which includes BBC1, 2, 3, 4, BBC News, BBC radio 1, 2, 3, 4 as well as the regional tv and radio stations and bbc dot com). This allows the BBC to air programming free of advertising and corporate influence. Im not a big fan of Top Gear, but BBC America in no way resembles anything shown in the UK. I could only imagine there being a Chevrolet commercial during the US version and then the guys come on and proclaim the Chevy Whatever the best car on the road. Plus there are great cars in Europe that they critique that dont even make it over to the US and some of those cars already have a manufacturing footprint but the suits choose not to make them.
sifon187

Postby sifon187 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:19 pm

demoknite wrote:For those that may not be familiar, we pay a "tax" for BBC programming (which includes BBC1, 2, 3, 4, BBC News, BBC radio 1, 2, 3, 4 as well as the regional tv and radio stations and bbc dot com). This allows the BBC to air programming free of advertising and corporate influence. Im not a big fan of Top Gear, but BBC America in no way resembles anything shown in the UK. I could only imagine there being a Chevrolet commercial during the US version and then the guys come on and proclaim the Chevy Whatever the best car on the road. Plus there are great cars in Europe that they critique that dont even make it over to the US and some of those cars already have a manufacturing footprint but the suits choose not to make them.

Every time TG UK does a review of a very affordable European car not avalible in the US, I think, hey we have KIA....we are fucked. But Ford America is finally building reliable cars again. Hell even Jeremy Clarkson, the biggest muscle car hater, bought the new version of the Ford GT.
aCompanionCube

Postby aCompanionCube » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:58 pm

Ford is different from other US car companies in that they've been making efforts to please the european market. They did it right.

Thanks for that bit of info Demoknite, the episodes are 59 minutes and change so when they hit America with 20 minutes of commercial I assumed that's how it airs there. Would love to see commercial free tv.

Spoiler Alert:

Clarkson ends up hating the GT40. It has so many problems I believe he finally returned it to Ford. It was amusing, Hammond would ask about the GT40 and Jeremy had to explain each time what was wrong....I actually can't remember if he even drove it to the studio after the first time, because it wouldn't work.
demoknite
How I listen: podcast

Postby demoknite » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:42 pm

aCompanionCube wrote:Ford is different from other US car companies in that they've been making efforts to please the european market. They did it right.

Thanks for that bit of info Demoknite, the episodes are 59 minutes and change so when they hit America with 20 minutes of commercial I assumed that's how it airs there. Would love to see commercial free tv.

Pretty much any international car company in the states has an equivalent in Europe. You can get Hondas, Toyotas, Mercedes, etc. The difference is, ford has just now consolidated their brand so now all models are available globally. That fuel efficient Ford Fiesta that is the new hotness over in the states has been in Europe since the 70s or 80s I believe. And for reasons I cant explain, Ford is the definition of reliability here. For some reason when a cars are expected to hit 150-180 here as apposed to 100k in the states.
Axel
VIP
VIP

Postby Axel » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:48 pm

I enjoy Top Gear.... just trying to figure out what channel its on....I got a new "cable box" and the HD this and the on demand that ...by the time I figure out whats on..its over.

I used to like The Car Show with Adam Carolla.....to bad its not on anymore
sifon187

Postby sifon187 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:18 pm

Axel wrote:I enjoy Top Gear.... just trying to figure out what channel its on....I got a new "cable box" and the HD this and the on demand that ...by the time I figure out whats on..its over.

I used to like The Car Show with Adam Carolla.....to bad its not on anymore

The UK version is on BBC America here and USA version plays on The History Channel. I do not promote piracy :wink: but watch the dvd's or download some episodes of the UK version. BBC America and Comcast on demand are edited for America.
aCompanionCube

Postby aCompanionCube » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:12 am

demoknite wrote:
aCompanionCube wrote:Ford is different from other US car companies in that they've been making efforts to please the european market. They did it right.

Pretty much any international car company in the states has an equivalent in Europe. You can get Hondas, Toyotas, Mercedes, etc. The difference is, ford has just now consolidated their brand so now all models are available globally. That fuel efficient Ford Fiesta that is the new hotness over in the states has been in Europe since the 70s or 80s I believe. And for reasons I cant explain, Ford is the definition of reliability here. For some reason when a cars are expected to hit 150-180 here as apposed to 100k in the states.

Oh, I know where cars come from. I literally meant of the 3 US car manufacturers. Ford is the only one that's been making an effort in Europe to make cars for them. My first car was a Ford Contour, which in Europe is a Mondeo. They stopped making the Contour in 02 or so, the Mondeo is still a seller there. The Focus was a huge seller in Europe when it first released, I think it even sold better there. I would much rather have the choices available there though. Cars here do last over 100k, it's more the people always wanting newer and better.

Return to “TV & Movies”